I have seen a statement following the Las Vegas shooting over and over on facebook. It goes something like this – “As individuals die in the street, nothing is being done about it.” or “Another mass shooting and again, nothing will be done about it.”
As our world looks less and less to God and personal responsibility and instead more and more to the Government to be our heavenly father many have expressed that nothing can be done without government intervention. They honestly believe that if the government does not pass a new law, then “nothing” is being done to stop the endless killing.
It is interesting to me that it takes a white man killing mostly white people to suddenly get our society upset. While poor, inner-city children are losing their lives daily to gun violence, both inner city, and rural American kids are dying due to drug overdoses, and thousands of children from all over America and all races are being taken out of their homes and placed into foster care because of a horrifying opioid and alcohol crisis, very few seem to be worked up about these issues.
Well, I for one have been worked up for some time. My facebook friends are right – something needs to be done. And in my opinion, the answer if within the church!
The answer is found in 2 Chronicles 7:14
“if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”
Here is what I suggest:
- Christians should seek God and ask God to revive their hearts. May his grace set us on the right path so that our light will honestly shine in a dark and desperate world.
- Christians need to actively seek to be “salt and light” in a dark and desperate world.
- Make your home hospitality centers once again. Invite others, especially non-Christians into your home so you can share fellowship and live out your Christian values.
- Get to church EVERY Sunday. Make it a priority. If your Church does not boldly proclaim the Word of God, find one that does.
- Pray and read your Bible. Shocking, but most Christians do not.
- Families need to get back to the root of what God intended for parents to be. Parents are not primarily given the task of making kids happy and successful. Your kids are not for your self-fulfillment and enjoyment! (Read a great blog post by my daughter Julie: http://allboy.life/648/my-boys-are-not-my-whole-world/) They should:
- See training as a primary function of the home, including treating discipline as an act of love and discipleship.
- Get those kids in Church.
- Stop wanting and pushing for your kids to be successful – in sports, academics and other pursuits. Instead, pray with and set reasonable goals for your kids. Praise them for their diligence and persistence. Success will nearly always come and without the issues that “success pressure” puts on kids.
- Slow down with all the activities and increase together time. Together time means face to face – time without electronics or movies.
- Actively talk about and pass on your faith to your kids. Use bedtime to talk to your kids. Use travel time to talk to your kids. Go for walks. But talk to your kids and while talking, pass on your beliefs. Not just what you believe, but why you believe it.
- Churches should begin to reach out in non-traditional ways including:
- Single Mom Ministry
- Ministry to fatherless boys (http://fathersinthefield.com)
- Recruit and train godly families to be foster parents
- Re-focus on discipleship instead of “funship.”
- Begin to once again take Bible study seriously. It is time to abandon the failed cute and shallow “moral” lessons. Let’s all be honest. It did not work. Instead, get them grounded in the Word of God! The morality will follow.
It is time to stop thinking that any government can reach the heart of its people. Instead, we should let the government do the job God intended. To protect the nation, praise those who do good and punish those who do bad.
Instead, we should all feel personally responsible for our little corner of the world. Let us follow Matthew 5:16
“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”
Now get out there and start getting things “done!”
May God’s grace and peace be with you,